This Week in Lower School 1/23 - 1/27, 2017
Lower School Staff
Friday, January 27, 2017
It has been an exciting time for our fifth grade students this year. They have reaped many benefits from being the leaders in the Lower School. They have been able to assume leadership roles in the Lower School, becoming the Tikkum Olam Project Managers, Emcees of the Lower School events and getting leads in the Lower School musical, while enjoying the security of a homeroom teacher, the privilege of having lockers and even their own “hang out” space.
Our students have been introduced into the middle school structure and culture gradually and deliberately. They enjoy the comfort and familiarity of eating lunch with the lower school three days a week and the excitement and novelty of joining the middle school for lunch (and now middle school clubs) twice a week. Another privilege was in fifth grade you get laptops instead of iPads, so they could become familiar with the technology used in the middle school. They have class in the incubator weekly, participate in middle school PE classes and enjoy after school sports with the middle school.
Last week, the fifth grade joined the sixth grade on a retreat to Mount Potosi. The bus rolled out at 8:00 in the morning and returned late at night with a group of happily exhausted students. Fifth graders spent the day mixing with sixth graders and getting to know some middle school faculty. The day was packed and mother nature answered with a steady flow of snow. Activities included art, hiking, team building, Judaics, a mean "cake war" competition, minute-to-win-it games, and some serious snowball fights! Students enjoyed bonding with one another outside of school. The fifth graders can't wait to return as sixth graders and stay overnight. An incredible time was had by all!
The Lower School Staff
Save the Dates:
- Wednesday, 2/1- 100th Day of School activities in school for JK and K students. Please send in the boxed or canned items assigned to your child’s grade level. See Tadpoles and Edsby for more details.
- Wednesday, 2/8- 2’s Tu B’Shevat Seder in their classrooms during the school day.
- Wednesday, 2/8- Writing Curriculum Event for JK- 5th grade students and their families. 3:30-4:30pm. Please plan on joining us for exciting writing activities as well as to learn about the writing curriculum across the divisions. Additional details to follow.
- Thursday, 2/9- 3’s through 5th grade Tu B’Shevat Seders in their classrooms during the school day.
- Friday, 2/17- NO SCHOOL- Professional Development Day for Teachers
- Monday, 2/20- NO SCHOOL- President’s Day
- Monday, 2/27 through Friday, 3/3- Reading Week Stay tuned for more information.
We are proud to join our mashgiach, Gershon Wolfe, in his Tzedakah organization, Aishal Avraham, which provides Shabbat meals to needy families in Las Vegas. Please send kosher, boxed food in every Friday.