This Week in Lower School 8/27-8/31, 2018
Lower School Team
Friday, August 31, 2018
We are so proud of our student leaders, who are modeling Tikkun Olam to our younger grades! 5th graders have taken the lead during Shabbat by inspiring our parents and students to give Tzedakah. They created beautiful Tzedakah boxes to collect the weekly Tzedakah.
As part of their Tikkun Olam, they are learning about different not for profit organizations, and learning skills to support them. They are learning to manage their collection and distribution of Tzedakah money, such as managing a project, Excel sheets to manage the donated funds , presentations and public speaking, and leadership skills that will help them in guiding their younger peers.
They will continue with supporting Make a Wish of Southern Nevada and guide the entire school in learning about the organization and being active in supporting it.4th graders were excited to discover the organization that they will support this year through an interactive scavenger hunt that taught them about literacy and the work of the organization that they will support, Spread the Word Nevada. We are excited to start our work in support of this organization, as well as, modeling the love of reading to our younger peers by reading with them occasionally. We owe a big thanks to Ms. Nails for taking part in this journey with us.
We can’t wait to bring the volunteer spirit to our friends and help in repairing the world.
Shabbat Shalom and enjoy the long weekend,
Lilach and the LS Leadership Team.
Upcoming Events & Programs:
- Friday, September 7th - 3rd grade will sing on Shabbat
- Friday, September 7th - K- 5 students Challah baking for Rosh Hashanah
- Thursday, September 13th - 1st grade field trip to Natural History Museum
- Friday, September 14th- 4th grade will sing on Shabbat
- Sunday, September 16th - Family Tashlich Event at Floyd Lamb Park
- Friday, September 21st- 2nd grade will sing on Shabbat
- Thursday, September 27th 5:30pm - Sukkot Experience for PS families
- Friday, September 28th- Hakafot during Shabbat K-5
- Friday, October 5th - K-5 students Challah Baking for Rosh Chodesh
- Monday, October 8th - morning enrichment courses for K-5 start (more details to follow)
- Friday, October 19th - Make-a-Wish parent event after Shabbat
- Monday, October 22nd - Kindergarten Field Trip to Spring Mtn. Ranch
- Thursday, October 25th - Parent/Teacher conferences; early dismissal (PS 11:15, K-5 11:30am); no aftercare and after-school programs
- Tuesday November 27 – Tuesday October 4, 2018 Book Fair
- Sunday December 2, 2018 - Hanukkah Book Fair event for families by PTO
- Thursday December 6, 2018- K-5 Hanukkah Show @ Theater 5:30pm
- Friday, December 14th - 4th grade “Wax Museum” - biography presentation