This Week in Lower School 9/4-9/7, 2018
Lower School Team
Friday, September 7, 2018
The Lower School hallways and classrooms are alive with the spirit of the upcoming holiday of Rosh Hashanah. All of our students participated in Rosh Hashanah seders and had the opportunity to taste many foods that are special for the holiday.
Our baby bears took a “field trip” to our very own pomegranate tree on campus. After looking at how the fruit grows, they looked at the inside. The two year old classes read Rosh Hashanah is Coming as part of their literature based approach. Many unique apple themed projects were created by the children. After reading Sammy Spider’s First Rosh Hashanah, our three year olds made their own new year cards in addition to other hands-on projects to help bring the new year in with a sweet note. The JK classes have been learning about bakeries and this week focused on round challot. They enjoyed reading the book Apples and Honey as well.
Our older students are preparing for the holidays in an engaging and interactive manner. Kindergarten students learned that there are more symbolic foods that we eat on Rosh Hashanah . Our first graders learned about the importance of the Shofar and what to think about when listening to the shofar blast. As part of a discussion of the symbolism of pomegranates, second graders brainstormed ways to do mitzvot, and how to recognize their friends when observing them doing good deeds. The third graders worked diligently in learning a song about the Jewish months. Fourth graders wrote wishes for the new year for their family and friends on tile in art class . Fifth grade learned about the relationship between the moon and the Jewish calendar. The fifth graders made cards with the phases of the moon to show the lunar cycle.
All of our students enjoyed Rosh Hashanah seders in their classrooms. They tasted symbolic foods, recited blessings, and sang songs to bring in the new year.
At kabbalat Shabbat we felt the holiday atmosphere with shofar blowing, singing and dancing to the traditional Israeli Rosh Hashanah song Bashanah Haba’ah. Our Shinshiniot prepared a fun dance video we all loved. WATCH THE VIDEO. K-5 students baked a round challah which they will bring home today.
Shanah Tovah from the Leadership Team,
Lilach and the LS Leadership Team.
Upcoming Events & Programs:
- Thursday, September 13th - 1st grade field trip to Natural History Museum
- Friday, September 14th- 4th grade will sing on Shabbat
- Sunday, September 16th - Family Tashlich Event at Floyd Lamb Park, See Flyer.
- Friday, September 21st- 2nd grade will sing on Shabbat
- Thursday, September 27th 5:30pm - Sukkot Experience for PS families
- Friday, September 28th- Hakafot during Shabbat K-5
- Friday, October 5th - K-5 students Challah Baking for Rosh Chodesh
- Monday, October 8th - morning enrichment courses for K-5 start (more details to follow)
- Friday, October 19th - Make-a-Wish parent event after Shabbat
- Monday, October 22nd - Kindergarten Field Trip to Spring Mtn. Ranch
- Thursday, October 25th - Parent/Teacher conferences; early dismissal (PS 11:15, K-5 11:30am); no aftercare and after-school programs
- Tuesday November 27 – Tuesday December 4, 2018 Book Fair
- Sunday December 2, 2018 - Hanukkah Book Fair event for families by PTO
- Thursday December 6, 2018- K-5 Hanukkah Show @ Theater 5:30pm
- Friday, December 14th - 4th grade “Wax Museum” - biography presentation